Thursday, July 2, 2009

DARE TO DREAM BIG

So I'm told that to be a contemporary business person, I need to have a blog. I've been thinking about this for some months now and my feelings about it have boiled down to a mixture of resistance and curiosity. I think the resistance is a reflection of thinking that I'm too old for all this technology, that there's something new around every corner, and I'm just not going to be able to keep up, so why bother! The curiosity is a reflection of thinking that I'm NOT too old, that I CAN keep up, and that it just takes a little courage ... at my age. You see, I just turned 50 and many of my peers are only just giving Facebook a try, then deciding to shut down their accounts because it's too difficult, too much to keep up with in addition to email, work and family life. I understand that! But I'm feeling courageous enough to forge ahead and so I'm going to give this blogging thing a go. I must admit, I'm not entirely sure what a blog is and how it differs from Twitter (another technological avenue I've been encouraged to explore) or Facebook, but here goes.

My aim is to share thoughts, experiences, stories having to do with deepening relational connections. I feel passionate about the power that a connection between two people can have for each as an individual as well as the relational space between them, whether it occurs between lovers, friends, family or complete strangers. This power, which is born in connection, ripples into the world; it can touch many and it can last for days! Imagine a scenario: you're at a family reunion (and I was recently) where the elders present are a couple who have been together for some thirty years. They are observed by the younger generations to be gentle, kind and thoughtful towards one another. They are known by all to be a very loving couple who have weathered many storms and have come through to a place of honor, respect and love for one another. They are a beacon for the rest and everyone can feel their love for one another. In this atmosphere, the rest of us treat our partner with a bit more love .. and we treat our children with a bit more tenderness and patience .. and the children treat each other with fairness and inclusion. The reunion ends, everyone goes home, and with us go feelings of love, warmth, kindness, etc. By virtue of the way we have been affected by the power of the elder's connection, the people we cross paths with in the coming days are also affected, and on it goes. You see how this can ripple out into the world? It's magic!!

I am interested in facilitating more of this in the world because I believe that if we have more people experiencing the power of connection, we'll become a world of happier, healthier people. With happier, healthier people, maybe we'll see less fighting in homes, in communities, in countries and between countries. It's a big dream, but so is being able to keep up with technological growth!

My hope is that you'll feel inspired to make comments to facilitate discussion (can you have a discussion on a blog?). Thanks for joining me in this effort.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julie,
    Yes, I am one of your peers who is not as courageous as you- not even any Facebook for me..yet? And I'm not even as 'old' as you : )
    Good for you!
    I agree that witnessing others connection can be inspiring and hopeful.I also love the "lift" and the feeling of expansiveness that can come unexpectedly when I am open to seeing the stranger and perhaps exchanging a smile. I intend to pay more attention to those experiences and opportunities... Leonie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Courageous enough to comment ;) You're just a step away from Facebook now!

    I love the image I get when I read your statement about "lift" and the feeling of expansiveness when seeing the stranger and exchanging a smile. For me, it's a feeling of being in a spiritual zone where souls meet, where there is a simple recognition of knowing or sameness, and where it feels like time has stopped if only for a split second.

    I love being in this place.

    ReplyDelete